10 Disciple Making Affirmations
1. We believe Jesus Christ is central to life and the Bible – he is supreme and worthy of all devotion, worship, and emulation. We affirm the Nicene Creed and its statements about Jesus and the Trinity (Colossians 1:15-20).
2. We define a disciple as someone who is following Jesus, being changed by Jesus, and is committed to the mission of Jesus (Matthew 4:19). This is only possible by the Holy Spirit and it is for God’s glory.
3. We define discipleship and disciple-making as helping people to trust and follow Jesus. (Matthew 28:18–20).
4. We believe disciple making is the core mission of the local church (Colossians 1:28-29).
5. We believe the Bible is the authoritative, reliable, and final guide for discipleship and life (2 Timothy 3:16-4:2).
6. We believe Jesus' method of disciple making is the wisest and best method to follow today (Luke 6:40).
7. We believe our love for one another is the most important sign of true discipleship (John 13:34-35).
8. We believe discipleship includes serving the poor, striving for holiness, and living with accountability in the local church (1 Corinthians 5:1-13).
9. We believe true discipleship and love compel us to join Jesus' mission to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10).
10. We believe our obedience to the great commission will result in the expansion of God's kingdom, the betterment of humanity, and God's exaltation and pleasure (Luke 19:11-27).
- Discipleship.org's "10 Discipleship Affirmations"
As we begin to make disciple making a central ministry, if not the central ministry, of our churches, we need to learn more about it. Fortunately, there are tons of really well-written, generally short, free or low cost books available on the topic. We encourage you to begin learning about disciple making, as you carry out the Great Commission in New Zealand. Jesus’ last words (Matthew 28:19-20) are our first priority!
We recommend you start with a free ebook by Craig Etheredge called Invest in a Few.
Next, read the first two chapters of Robby Gallaty's Replicate, which can be downloaded free here.
Then choose one of the free ebooks that catches your eye at Discipleship.org. Lots of good titles!
Finally, the foundational book on disciple making that got the present day disciple making movement started is Robert Coleman's The Master Plan of Evangelism. A classic! It can be found on Amazon or Book Depository.