Our mission is to partner with South Island churches and ministries in the areas of disciple making, conversational evangelism, inductive Bible study, expository Bible teaching, and biblical worldview training, with the goal of multiplying disciple makers in New Zealand, to the glory of God.
Our Core Values
Faithfulness. “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes.” - Matthew 24:45-47
Availability. “…[Jesus] said to [Peter and Andrew], Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Immediately they left their nets and followed him.” - Matthew 4:19-20
Teachability. “Make me to know your ways, Yahweh. Teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation. For you I wait all the day long.” - Psalm 25:4-5
Jeff grew up in Salina, Kansas, USA, and trusted in Jesus at a youth camp as a boy. After university, he met and married Averil, a Kiwi, in 2008. He and Averil now have five children. Jeff served as a lawyer with the U.S. Air Force from 2007-2014, and then studied theology at Dallas Theological Seminary, from which he graduated in 2016. He and Averil moved to Timaru in 2017 to found Firm Foundation New Zealand. In 2019, the family moved further south to Dunedin. Jeff is passionate about disciple making, the Bible, evangelism, and developing young Christian leaders. Jeff serves as an elder at Caversham Community Church and continues to serve as a reservist in the U.S. Air Force.
Averil grew up in Timaru and trusted in Jesus as a young girl. She later graduated from Teacher's College at the University of Canterbury in 2000. She then served as a teacher for five years at an orphanage in Chiang Mai, Thailand, where she met Jeff. The two were married in 2008, and they now have five children. Averil enjoys homeschooling, leading inductive Bible studies, and mentoring mums and young women. She is passionate about home education, disciple making, and training believers in inductive Bible study. The family lives in Dunedin, where she and Jeff are members of Caversham Community Church.
Ric was born and raised in Taiwan. He lived 25 years without knowing Christ, pursuing nothing but worldly success, money, and self-fulfilment. By God’s ferocious grace, God took hold of his heart in 2007 through a mission trip in Taiwan. God has radically changed his life from an enemy of God to a child of God, from a seeker of truth to a minister of the Gospel, and from a lover of the world to a lover of the Word. In 2010, Ric married his college sweetheart, Jocelyn, and they now have three children. Since 2010, Ric and Jocelyn have served together in several ministries, including Apartment Life (2010-12), youth ministry at West Houston Chinese Church (2011-16), and student ministry at Asian American Baptist Church in Dallas (2017-20). Ric graduated from Dallas Theological Seminary in 2019 and is passionate about Jesus, Tae Kwon Do (black belt instructor), boba tea, evangelism, expository preaching, equipping the next generation, and cross-cultural missions.
Our Focus Areas
- We lead disciple making initiatives in our own local church, Caversham Community Church.
- We personally mentor believers and disciples and challenge them to become the next generation of disciple makers, in obedience to the Great Commission (Mt 28:19-20).
- We conduct seminars and workshops for churches on multiplying disciple makers.
- We share the gospel in a friendly, conversational way at public locations in Dunedin for four hours every week.
- We train believers and churches how to share the gospel through seminars and workshops.
- We assist local churches in conducting evangelism campaigns in Otago, Waitaki, South Canterbury, and Southland.
Inductive Bible Study
- We lead weekly inductive Bible studies for adults throughout the year, covering all books of the Bible.
- We conduct a weekly inductive Youth Bible Study in Dunedin.
- We organise and lead school holiday Bible camps for youth near Timaru and Dunedin.
- We train inductive Bible study facilitators across Otago, Waitaki, South Canterbury, and Southland.
Expository Bible Teaching
- We preach and teach regularly at Caversham Community Church, Dunedin.
- We preach and teach from the Old and New Testaments during Sunday and other services at churches throughout the South Island.
- We conduct seminars and workshops on books of the Bible and areas of theology.
- We are available to serve as guest speakers at camps, conferences, and retreats.
Biblical Worldview Training
- We run biblical worldview and apologetic talks in Dunedin.
- We train believers how to think biblically in all areas of life through seminars and workshops.
- We run Case Makers Academy, a school holiday apologetics programme for youth ages 9-13.